Front gardens: designing
Do driveways cause flooding? Heavy rain events have shown that paving over gardens is a major factor in causing severe flooding. In 2007 alone, the associated damage was £3billion in the UK. Laws are now in place that require most non-permeable, traditional driveways to have planning permission - whether new or replacement. So here is our guide on how to reduce paving and increase planting.
plants, we can:
- Prevent flooding by soaking up summer storm rains
- Provide homes to up to 260 species of wildlife (insects, birds etc)
- Absorb pollutants, helping us breath easily
- Keep us cool in summer and help insulate homes in winter
- Make us feel good to come home – it’s scientifically called ‘restoration’
The Royal Horticultural Society is the UK’s leading gardening charity. We aim to enrich everyone’s life through plants, and make the UK a greener and more beautiful place.